Frequently Asked Questions
1. What type of propellant do VASIMR® engines use?
2. Would it be possible to mount one of your VASIMR® motors on a high altitude airship?
3. What is the top speed of a VASIMR® engine?
4. Can a VASIMR® vehicle take off from the ground like the Space Shuttle?
5. How does rocket efficiency relate to speed?
6. How much money has the USA government spent on VASIMR® technology?
7. What is the highest efficiency demonstrated by the VASIMR® engine?
8. While the plasma in the VASIMR® engine gets to be close to the temperature of the sun's surface, how is the engine effectively cooled so its hardware does not melt?
9. What is the estimated mass of the VASIMR® spacecraft?
10. Does a VASIMR® engine produce an ion beam?
11. How heavy is a VASIMR® engine?
12. What power sources can a VASIMR® engine use?
13. Does the VASIMR® superconducting magnet require persistent-switch technology?
14. Are the vacuum pumping requirements for testing a VASIMR® engine the same as for other electric propulsion devices?
15. Is VASIMR® propulsion a hoax?
16. Does VASIMR® need a nuclear reactor?
17. What is the state of the superconducting magnet technology used in the VASIMR® engine?