Employment and Internships
Open Position NEW
Ad Astra Rocket Company (Ad Astra) is a small US R&D company dedicated to the development of advanced plasma rocket technology for in-space transportation. The company headquarters and main laboratory are located in the city of Webster, TX, about 25 miles south of downtown Houston. Ad Astra also owns and operates a small subsidiary, located in northwestern Costa Rica and primarily focused on developing and implementing clean energy solutions for both, stationary and mobile applications.
Ad Astra is looking for a full-time Administrative Assistant for the Webster location. Candidates must be US Citizens or Permanent Residents and have demonstrated ability to work as a member of a diverse and multidisciplinary team. The position requires organization, attention to detail, fast response, and ability to address a diverse set of tasks with diligence, efficiency and enthusiasm. The R&D nature of the operation calls for a great deal of creativity and flexibility solving administrative issues and problems that may arise in the course of the work. The team is expected to expand, but is presently small (11 in Houston, 10 in Costa Rica), so that collaboration and teamwork are a must. The team appreciates an optimistic and positive attitude as well as flexibility and “lending a hand” to a co-worker when needed.
The CEO maintains a very intense and dynamic schedule, with rapidly-developing commitments both domestic and international. Therefore, the job requires proactive and quick schedule diligence in arranging flights, virtual meetings across multiple time-zones, and the ability to react to sudden changes in plan. Frequent interaction, both written and verbal, in English and Spanish are required with corporate VIPs, heads of state, members of congress, diplomats, as well as NGO representatives. Therefore, the job requires, as a minimum, fluency in both written and spoken English and Spanish.
The team, however, is very informal, family-like and collegial in its interactions. We thrive on mutual respect and professionalism. We are passionate about our mission and believe deeply in the value of our work and the technology we are creating. If you believe in hard work and are looking for a fun bunch of people who really believe in what they are creating, look no further.
• Managing the CEO’s calendar
• Answers and screens telephone inquiries
• Provide personal assistance, including running errands, arranging personal travel, person meeting/event coordination, etc.
• Support our Costa Rica team as needed
• Works closely with CEO to keep him informed of upcoming commitments and responsibilities, with required follow-up.
• Assists with revisions of contracts, leases, and agreements.
• Processes purchasing transactions according to policies established by the management.
• Examines and analyzes departmental purchase requisitions for completeness and accuracy of information.
• Establish and maintain filing systems (physical and electronic)
• Coordinate schedules, appointments, meetings and travel for the management team
• Coordinate travel reimbursement with sponsors and accounting
• Package and mail items sold on the merchandise webpage in a timely manner.
• Coordinate, manage and support special events for the company
This is not an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities. Ad Astra Rocket Company reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet business and organizational needs as necessary.
• Administrative experience preferable
• Candidate must be a US Citizens or a Permanent Resident.
• Strong communication skills, written and verbal.
• Must be fluent in both English and Spanish (written and verbal).
• Must provide 2 references from previous employers.
• Must be proficient in MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Gmail and Goggle calendar.
• Knowledge of WebEx is helpful
• Professional, outgoing, and positive, can-do attitude
• Self-motivated, self-directed, organized, ready to be of service
• Strong organizational skills that reflect ability to perform and prioritize multiple tasks seamlessly
• Excellent attention to detail
• Ability to work well with a team
• Ability to thrive in a high-stress and fast-paced environment
• Ability to improvise and quickly resolve last minute changes and/or complex situations.
• Ability to lift to 10-20 lbs. (i.e. files, books, equipment, small devices, and supplies).
• Ability to stand or be seated for long periods of time.
• Stooping, reaching, and bending may be periodically required.
Ad Astra is always interested in hearing from qualified professionals, scientists, and engineers looking to join our team. If you have seen a role with us that matches your interests and qualifications, please send us your complete resume or CV including professional references.
Candidates for USA positions must be eligible under US laws to have access to ITAR controlled technology. References from previous work supervisors and/or classroom instructors are required. A minimum GPA of 3.0 is required for recent graduates.
To apply, please send us your resume or CV using our contact form.
Student Internships are available now in:
– Communications and Social Media
– Business Development
Desired skills: Strong online research skills, strong graphics and video editing experience, and basic knowledge of visual arts/aesthetics. Strong copy-editing skills and proficiency in foreign languages are prefered.
Please take note these internships are for students only and not for established professionals. First-year students and career transition applicants are strongly encouraged to apply. All interns must adhere to the company guidelines and protocols to be eligible for the internship. For U.S. positions, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete a required employment verification form upon hire.
To apply for an internship, please forward your resume, references, writing, and creative portfolios to email@example.com